If we do not speak up now against the arrest of Professor Hany Babu, we may lose India forever

Hany Babu has been arrested. Even though the news was not surprising, it shocked me. It is unsettling to think that we will not longer walk past a class overflowing with students with Hany Babu inside, that we do not know how long it will take to bump into him again in the corridors of Delhi University’s Arts Faculty.

These had always been chance encounters. Hany Babu appeared, at least to me, a man of few words. Apart from knowing him as a colleague, a fellow teacher at the neighbouring Department of English, I was aware of his activities on the anti-caste front and as the person leading the Saibaba defence committee. The former Delhi University professor, GN Saibaba, is wheelchair-bound with over 90% physical disability. In 2017, he was given a life sentence for having links with Maoists.

Last year, when my father called me to tell me that the home of a Delhi University professor had been raided, I asked him whether the professor was Hany Babu. Why did his name came to my mind? My apprehension arose out of the fact he was audacious enough to spearhead the Sai Baba defence committee. It was a dangerous thing to do....

Read more



from Scroll.in https://ift.tt/39DcnLQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

इलेक्ट्रॉनिक मास्क से लेकर सस्ते स्मार्टफोन तक, इस हफ्ते लॉन्च हुए कई स्मार्ट गैजेट; BS6 इंजन के साथ बाजार में आई होंडा जैज, महिंद्रा माराजो और डुकाटी की सुपरबाइक

Hathras gangrape: CM Adityanath criticises Opposition for protests, calls it ‘conspiracies’

On English-medium education, India is having the same debates it did 200 years ago