Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Review: Attack of the Numbers!

samsung galaxy s 20 altra and it is 
samsung's attack of the numbers 
so this is it this huge phone here is a 
Samsung's highest and most expensive 
flagship phone ever and there's a lot of 
word Samsung could have chosen to use 
here they could have gone plus or max 
they could have gone pro but they went 
ultra ultra ultra extremist radical yeah.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Review



Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Review                                                                
I think that's that's actually pretty 
accurate so if the question is how can 
you possibly justify a    new phone that 
expensive Samsung's answer is by 
throwing all the hardware at you all the 
specs every single big number they can 
possibly think of that going into this 
phone it looks on paper like a great 
idea 
how could a phone with snapdragon 865 16 
gigs of ram 512 gigs of ufs 3.0 a 
hundred and eight megapixels a hundred X 
zoom 8k five thousand milliamp hours 120 
Hertz 1440p 5g how could this phone be 
anything other than the best well I'll 
tell you but let's start with the design 
though just because I think it's 
actually the least ultra thing about 
this phone and it's pretty simple 
actually 
it's a massive phone glass sandwich with 
a gigantic recognizable double camera 
bump expendable storage at the top 
speaker at the bottom r.i.p headphone 
jack you know on one hand it kind of 
blends in with the smart phones of today 
especially in Samsung's lineup but on 
the other hand there's no mistaking it.
actually remember when smartphone 
displays we're getting bigger and bigger 
and then they first crossed over five 
inches like average and then they sort 
of evened out a 5.3 inch and people 
thought it was kind of getting crazy and 
then Samsung because who else came out 
with the Galaxy mega that's really a 
phone that came out with and named that 
had a 6.3 inch display it was just 
hilarious like no one else would try 
that but this phone was the size of a 
tablet with the form factor of a phone 
it really was the mega phone yet here we 
are now today with galaxy s 20 ultra 
bigger than any galaxy mega or any 
galaxy note even has ever been with a 
6.9 inch display it's huge for me it 
still fits in my pocket and it's usable 
for me but it might not be for everyone 
clearly giant phones aren't for everyone 
I gotta say though for an ultra phone 
the color options of glossy black glossy 
gray are a bit underwhelming 
of course channel sponsor D brand will 
gladly step up and customize a look on 
the back and you can get as wild as this 
robot camo skin but don't let that be a 
cop-out Samsung I'm hoping for a little 
more variety next time till then I'll 
link that skin below one thing you do 
get from a huge phone though is a huge 
display so just to give you the numbers 
6.9 inch diagonal 120 Hertz 1440p and 
stop me if you've heard this before but 
Samsung has once again made the best 
display in any smartphone best 
brightness colors contrasts best viewing 
angles of any smartphone display I've 
ever seen I feel like I'm starting to 
sound like display mate 
it's the highest a plus I've ever given 
just you'll know it when you see it and 
it's not just the high-end spec in big 
numbers                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Samsung S20 Ultra
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Review                                     
they've also flattened out the edges of 
the display so it doesn't spill over the 
sides anymore and I appreciate that 
from a usability perspective and I hope 
they keep that trend up throughout the 
rest of their lineup love that and if I 
have any gripes really it's that the 
ultrasonic fingerprint reader underneath 
the screen is basically the same as last 
year there's no real substantial 
improvements and that's fine it's still 
a decently fast and responsive one and 
once you learn where it is with muscle 
memory its kind of quick but I was 
hoping these would get bigger and faster 
from generation to generation and that 
hasn't happened yet now it is worth 
noting you don't get all the big numbers 
straight out the box this phone is 
actually 1080p 60 Hertz out the box 
pretty basic and you can either notch it 
up to 120 Hertz or 1440p but not both at 
the same time personally I'm picking 120 
Hertz every single time I was waiting 
for or asking for the high refresh rate 
from Samsung and we finally got it and 
it's great the difference between 60 
Hertz and 120 Hertz in like a 90% of 
what you're doing on your phone which is 
scrolling it's fantastic and then the 
display also has a 240 Hertz touch 
sensor refresh so no matter what 
resolution you're in it keeps it feeling 
snappy and responsive as expected which 
is just what we've seen in these gaming 
phones that came before it now do I wish 
they would let us use this phone at 120 
Hertz 
1440p full resolution at the same time 
yeah I wish they would allow it right 
now that's disabled I originally thought 
it might be a snapdragon 865 limitation 
but it turns out it's not they just 
don't enable it because they probably 
think it would crush battery but I say 
if you're paying fourteen hundred bucks 
for this phone and you know what you're 
getting yourself into you can still put 
it at 60 Hertz 1080p out the box but let 
us enable it if we really want to maybe 
they can enable that with a software 
update and you know just put a little 
disclaimer hey you turn these both on 
it'll crush your battery but you paid 
for the phone so you get to turn it on 
alright so let's talk about that battery 
5000 milli amp hours on the s20 ultra and 
this is one of those specs that usually 
translates pretty well from paper to 
real life the bigger the battery the 
better and this one's getting too big 
thumbs up from me we know five thousand 
milli amp hours is huge but I was just a 
tiny bit worried about how well it would 
do powering a giant bright six point 
nine inch 120 Hertz display turns out 
it's perfectly fine I've been getting 
consistently six plus hours of screen on 
time at the end of every day easy with 
battery to spare 
heavy stuff gaming a lot of navigation 
while driving and I've never killed it 
in a single day so I don't even worry 
about it anymore to be honest I was 
thinking that I was gonna have to take a 
few extra days of testing to flip it 
down to sixty Hertz and see how much 
battery that saves me but yeah I don't 
have to this is an all-day phone at 120 
Hertz which is dope but alright let's 
just face it the big numbers that you 
guys are probably most curious about and 
how well they translate is around the 
back of this phone and that's the 
cameras so that's that hundred and eight 
megapixels 
that's 8k video and that's even printed 
on the back of this phone the 100x 
spaced zoom but as we've hopefully 
learned by now 
numbers on the spec sheet for cameras 
don't always translate super well to 
real-world performance I've seen about a 
million 64 megapixel cameras that are 
worse than the 12 megapixel cameras in 
the pixel and the iPhone so for me 
seeing how hard Samsung was leaning into 
this camera upgrade for the s20 ultra my 
real question at the beginning of this 
was hey can Samsung actually make the 
best camera in any smartphone I have a 
lot of thoughts about this camera so 
right off the bat I'm gonna say this is 
better in some ways 
their previous cameras but worse in 
other ways actually so it's still fall 
solidly in third place for me I still 
prefer photos from the pixel and the 
iPhone more often than images coming 
from Samsung but that doesn't mean the 
numbers mean nothing by default this 
main camera is doing binning that kicks 
out a 12 megapixel photo and it is the 
sharpest most detailed 12 megapixel 
photo out there which I love 
that's one of the things that's my 
favorite about it and these are classic 
Samsung bright and colorful usually 
bring up shadows and smoothing out faces 
the whole thing that hasn't changed 
there's also the ultra wide camera which 
is the softest of the three cameras but 
I'm still glad it's there it's giving us 
that first-person the fun perspective 
and it even has Samsung's much improved 
night mode in ultra wide which some 
others just straight-up don't do and 
then there is of course the full 108 
megapixel mode that can be toggled on 
and yes that did produce a bit more 
detail which is useful especially if 
you're planning on zooming in and 
cropping after you take that big photo 
but for the difference in file size and 
the inconvenience of always having to 
turn it on I ended up not really feeling 
like I needed it most of the time I was 
happy with the 12 megapixel shots but if 
you pay a little bit more attention to 
that main camera especially with 
close-up subjects there's a little bit 
more to notice there so keep this in 
mind the main hundred eight megapixel 
camera is massive like it's physically 
much larger than most other smartphone 
camera sensors and for the most part 
it's a general rule the larger the 
sensor the better you're letting in more 
light you get bigger pixels it's just a 
typical good thing to have a larger 
sensor and that's fine but for those of 
us familiar with large sensor 
photography and video larger sensors 
have a look like that's when you start 
to get this naturally blurry foreground 
and background and this shallow depth of 
field in this case the sensor on this 
phone is so big and that dual aperture 
feature that they've shipped in a couple 
previous Samsung flagships is now gone 
so it is wide open at F 1.8 all the time 
these things combine to make a razor 
thin plane of focus and so things that 
aren't in that plane of focus by even a 
couple of inches or 
so when I took photos of closer up 
subjects which I do I guess more than 
normal but enough to notice this you 
would not only see that the background 
was naturally blurred without portrait 
mode but really only part of the subject 
is actually in focus and you can see the 
rest is falling out of focus but in this 
smeared fringe bad looking bokeh 
normally this isn't such a weird thing 
because with a big high quality sensor 
and glass that's just the background 
falling naturally out of focus but on 
these tiny smartphone optics the bokeh 
just isn't quite as beautiful and you 
really do start to notice the fringing 
and unnatural looking blurred background 
now and I also think that this may have 
contributed to the autofocus issues you 
may have heard about on the s20 ultra 
autofocus on this phone for me has been 
unusually jumpy and kind of 
unpredictable and actually missed focus 
a few times especially with closed focus 
and closed subjects and I just haven't 
had a flagship phone have issues like 
that in a long time and I was trying to 
figure out why I think the razor thin 
plane of focus from not having dual 
aperture mode and probably some not 
perfectly optimized software has made 
auto focus on the s20 ultra feel kind of 
buggy now Samsung has already promised 
some software updates that should fix 
these issues and I believe they can 
probably mitigate a lot of these auto 
focus issues with software but at the 
end of the day you can't beat the 
physics of having a larger sensor and 
not-so-great optics so I think that 
fringing and that very sharp fall-off of 
the razor fin depth of field will 
continue okay 
galaxy s 20 ultra will also shoot 8k 
video that's a new feature these 
snapdragon 865 phones are getting and 
that should be right up my alley so of 
course I go to test it and I am very 
impressed with the images you can get 
off a smartphone sensor the stills you 
can take from the video at 33 megapixels 
there's some test Clips out there I've 
shot some of my own just for kicks and 
it's fun but it's not just simply a 
higher resolution version of the already 
pretty good 4k video there's like a 
laundry list of trade-offs here number 
one 8k is locked at 24 frames per second 
max can't go above that and since we all 
know 30fps is a correct framerate that's 
just a limitation of the snapdragon a 65 
it just can't quite cranked out 30fps 
number two it punches in a lot so at 4k 
a normal video mode it could shoot 
pretty wide without binning for 8k but 
they use an 8k window in the middle of 
the sensor so when you switch to 8k mode 
you see it punch in a ton which really 
limits what you can frame with it number 
three focus tracking turns off with 8k 
video again this is a limitation of the 
processing you get with the snapdragon 
865 but it was already pretty bad 
without dual pixel autofocus to begin 
with so now it's let's be real really 
really bad for me is if you don't have a 
clear or far enough away subject it's 
gonna be hunting all the time and that's 
really distracting it just doesn't look 
good on video then number four because 
of how much data is being processed the 
amount of time it takes to process from 
the top line to the bottom on that chip 
it takes a little bit of time and that 
creates rolling shutter and to me it's 
super obvious and any footage where 
you're moving or turning at all just 
turns into jelly I've never seen rolling 
shutter this bad in smartphone video in 
my life and then five the file sizes 
it's a K video it's going to be huge 
it's about ten megabytes per second so 
if you take a 60 second video you're 
looking at about 600 megabytes which is 
kind of a pain to upload so all that 
combines so 8k video on this phone it's 
great it's it's really cool for like 
sitting still and maybe capturing some 
slow moving or not so much turning 
subjects in high resolution and if you 
look around that's what most people are 
shooting their test clips of but other 
than that as soon as you start to move 
around or have to chase focus at all 
I'll pass I think I'll have another year 
or two of measly 4k video on my 
smartphone and be fine I didn't think 
I'd be the one saying that but that's 
the truth 
oh and you almost let me forget to 
mention the zoom the thing that's 
printed on the back of the phone the 
100x base zoom comes from the 48 
megapixel periscope camera sitting in 
the side of this phone okay just because 
you have 100x zoom 
doesn't mean 
should use 100x zoom all the time so my 
typical smartphone photo-taking behavior 
is I almost never zoom i zoom with my 
feet or I just switch to the ultra wide 
but the s20 ultra having this periscope 
zoom has made it easier than ever to 
just like punch in on subjects further 
away and take crisp photos that's 
definitely true this phone takes these 
sharpest images at 30x zoom I've ever 
seen from a phone next to Wow way really 
impressive stuff everybody really wants 
to focus on the 100x like when you zoom 
all the way in and it's a cool demo but 
photos clearly don't look good at a 
hundred X you're not supposed to zoom 
all the way into a hundred every time 
honestly you'd have better luck just 
taking a 30x zoom photo and cropping in 
later no seriously just just zoom in 
later it's basically the same thing but 
then there's of course just people 
trashing the hundred X zoom because hey 
you don't need a hundred X it looks bad 
why they even put this on the phone but 
here's the thing if you're trashing the 
hundred X zoom because it looks bad at 
100x and you don't think people need it 
but ignoring the 30x that's like 
trashing a new speaker that comes out 
that goes up to a hundred decibels 
because it sounds bad at a hundred 
decibels and no one needs it that loud 
but you're forgetting that speaker will 
sound better at 50 decibels because it's 
in the middle of its range then the 
others that are maxing out at 50 so 
there you go we can appreciate the good 
tech when it's there I didn't mean to 
turn this whole video into a camera 
review but hey it's one of the most 
important parts of the phone so the more 
you know the better so as far as numbers 
go the 108 megapixel number it's there 
but it's not quite there but it helps 
the 100x number it's not really there 
all the time even though it is I guess 
printed there all the time and the 8k 
number I actually recommend against 
using it so despite all this hype 
Samsung I think is kind of in the same 
place they left off last year with their 
camera in third place and maybe a 
software update away from closing the 
gap but third place and then the rest of 
this phone is really Samsung doing 
Samsung things if you use the Galaxy S 
before you 
won't be shocked by anything here one UI 
and it's one-handed optimizations are 
more important than ever because of how 
big this phone is but really it's still 
the super familiar throw in everything 
but the kitchen sink strategy there's a 
ton there's a there's a million features 
on this phone the one new feature I 
found really interesting was the ability 
to pin apps to the massive amount of RAM 
so in the multitasker if you tap the 
icon at the top you can keep the app 
open for quick launching that loads it 
up into the RAM permanently and I messed 
around with this a bit I tried it with 
Spotify tried it with the camera app 
tried it with my tasks app that I 
launched all the time I didn't really 
see much of a big difference in battery 
so that's nice and the app really is 
truly forever open in the background 
ready to launch instantly so having that 
much more RAM on the phone is quite 
useful also I feel obligated to mention 
yes this is a 5G phone but you shouldn't 
buy this phone just for the 5g I'm on 18
T I haven't had a single second of 5G 
experience on this phone but you know if 
you're on t-mobile or any of the mid 
band or millimeter wave using carriers 
your mileage may vary 
so the strategy of throwing all the 
numbers at the phone did it work well I 
think it mostly worked I mean this is an 
excellent phone best-in-class in several 
ways the display being the most 
incredible one and with the battery 
falling right in step behind it but as 
we've learned the numbers aren't 
everything and the question a lot of 
people seem to like asking is do you 
need it and no of course not most people 
will do great with a phone half this 
price you don't need this phone but as a 
fan of tech I am happy when stuff at the 
highest end is pushing things forward 
and it's at the bleeding edge and for a 
lot of that stuff I do like the s20
ultra a lot and some people who use 
their phone a lot won't have a big 
problem spending a lot extra on it now 
shouldn't a $1400 phone be pretty much 
perfect out the box yeah probably 
and this clearly isn't perfect but 
there's a lot of really great things 
about it and this is the phone I will be 
pocketing personally until further 
notice and I guess crossing my fingers 
for some software updates.

Popular posts from this blog

Covid-19 impact: In south Rajasthan clinics, doctors see spike in TB and child malnutrition

Passengers leave Saudi Arabia as international flights resume

On English-medium education, India is having the same debates it did 200 years ago